An electronic signature is a digital mark indicating agreement of the content of a document. It services the need to sign digital documents such as pdf file without the need of printing and scanning those documents. Electronic signature can also be used to remotely sign documents. In this latest scenario extra steps have to be taken to ensure the authentication of the person e-signing the document.
There are many third party E-signature services with varying set of features and cost. These services can be used for PDF documents generated by StudioTax such as the T183. In this case you would print the document to a PDF file and follow the process of the given e-Signature service to get it signed. Note that the T183 includes an additional feature that allows you to enter the legal representative name, date and time of an electronic signature perfomed through a third party electronic signature service such as Adobe E-signatures. In this case you need to use the button in Part F of the T183 and denoted by (1) in the picture shown below on this page.
The option presented by this page is the Electronic Signature solution designed and built for StudioTax Enterprise. The signature is managed at the StudioTax level by 2 buttons denoted by (2) in the following picture. The signature performed by the client and handled by a dedicated web application hosted on bhok.ca server.
The rest of this page presents the StudioTax integrated solution added to StudioTax Enterprise 2020. This is an optional feature that can be used to enable remote signing of the following forms:
- Authorization/Cancellation request – signature page
The electronic signature process is made of the following main steps in chronological order:
- A request for signature is initiated from StudioTax Enterprise. The result is a web link that need to be emailed to the client.
- The client clicks the link that opens the browser at the StudioTax electronic signature page.
- The client signs the form and saves the signature.
- The client informs the tax preparer that the form is signed.
- The tax preparer open the client’s return and retrieve the signature.
This task is carried out by the tax preparer from within the StudioTax application. The location of the electronic signature interface that initiates the request depends on the form that need to be signed. Both the T183 and TP1000.TE includes the 2 buttons required to initiate the request and retrieve the result. Authorization/Cancellation request interface is added to a dedicated tab on the Print/File interface under the menu CRA->Authorise/Cancel a Representative.
- Press the create request button. The interface shown below is shown.
- Enter a PIN number
- Press the Create a Request button. This button collect the information required by the given form and send it to the server. It receives back a link that need to be used by the client.
- Copy the link and email it to your client.
- Provide your client the PIN created above. It is important not to include the PIN in the link email nor should be send by email. It is recommended to communicate the PIN by phone or text msg(SMS).
The following are the steps required by the client to complete the signature:
- Click the link send in the email
- Enter the PIN number and press Enter
- Review the form
- Press the sign button
- Fill the name fields
- Draw the signature
- Press the accept button
A more detailed description of the signing steps is provided at the following page that can be send to the client with the signature link: How to sign
After the client signs the form, you can retrieve the signature by simply pressing the button Get the Electronic Signature data: